wait, what? just blog

I know, I know... I bitch. But what else are these things good for? Enjoy following my near panic attacks, threats of bodily harm on the public and just general rants on every and anything.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Straight-Edge Stigma

If you didn’t know, you do now. I’ve been straight-edge now for officially 15 years. Straight-edge in case you’ve been living in a cave for the past two decades is when an individual (usually associated with the hardcore-punk scene) takes a personal vow to remain drug-free. That means no drinking, no smoking, and no drugs of any kind. Some people go as far as to include caffeine and sex in the equation but who am I kidding I like some dick and I love me some Diet Coke with Lime. Allow these vices.
Now I am NOT preachy; I don’t go around chastising people on the streets because they are having a glass of wine or shooting up next to me in the theatre. It’s a personal choice I made a long time ago and I’m sticking to it… for me!
The superiority complex I have because of growing up in the hardcore scene and with straight-edge kids does however dip in and out of my now 31 year old psyche on occasion. There are certain things I don’t like to do because of being straight-edge. Let’s give the example of going into a liquor store. It’s weird to me that there is a store for altering a persons being and for encouraging alcoholism. Jon and I went into one last weekend to get Amaretto for a dessert recipe (that would be cooked off) and I wanted to sit in the car because I just felt so awkward about going in. Rationale told me to get. out. of. the. car. you’re being stupid, but there was that moment of hesitation because I didn’t want to be in a liquor store. I acknowledge that it’s not normal and that no one is judging me because I am going into a liquor store. No one is going to take away my membership card! But, there is something that makes me feel somewhat better than that and I want people to know I’m not going in to by alcohol.
I’m sure anyone reading this is instantly thinking: “Hi Judgmental Much?” I guess I am, it’s just that I am proud of being Straight-Edge and Vegetarian for 15 years (formerly vegan for 7) and the attention whore in me wants everyone to know it. I need therapy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home