wait, what? just blog

I know, I know... I bitch. But what else are these things good for? Enjoy following my near panic attacks, threats of bodily harm on the public and just general rants on every and anything.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

London Bombings


As you may or may not know, London is where I will be moving if and when George W. Bush manages to declare Gay Marriages as unconstitutional country wide. Yes I know he’s declared it verbally but I’m talking able to pass legislation declaration. Whatever, so not the point. The point is that I love London and think that their subway system is the best in the world.

When Jon and I went, our hotel was right where this morning I woke to find that a double-decker bus had been blown to smithereens. A jigga what? Don’t go blowing up London folks, I may need to live there one day.

As for their Underground system, it’s the cleanest and most organized subway system I’ve ever been on. Jon was quick to point out that the Russell Square Underground station (kaboom this morning) was the one that puts the Davis Sq. T Stop to shame. The Russell Sq. stop is the furthest below London of any of the subway stations. The escalator is so long and steep that when you are at the bottom its impossible to see the top and vice-versa. Middle height on that thing is enough to give you vertigo as a top and bottom are not in sight and the endless advertisements running the walls and mechanical stairs as far as the eye can see will send one into a panic. The staircase has a health warning at the top and bottom, it’s that severe of an incline and distance underground.

Can you imagine trying to climb out of that tunnel with I’m sure no power, no air conditioning and the fear that another blast could happen any second? To top it all off, you have to walk up like 4 million stairs? Everest is nothing compared to the Russell Sq. Underground Station. No thank you.

Poor London.

That reminds me – Jon and I reported a mysterious bag to the Underground Police when we were there as well. We were on a train on our way back to the Airport and right by a door of the car we were riding in was a backpack that had no owner. After a stop or two we both noticed it. I was such a freakazoid that I had to get off the train. I was sure that thing was going to blow and I was not going down with it. Off we go! We have to head down a maze of stairwells to find a Police officer. We tell them about the bag and that the train is heading toward the airport. They rush around, thanking us. I think Jon actually said we were New Yorkers to justify our fear. I know, I need help.

As we awaited the next train to take us to what I worried was my next death vehicle (the plane) I kept looking down the tracks bracing myself for a mini dust cloud and fireball. It never came. Thank goodness the next train did though!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home