wait, what? just blog

I know, I know... I bitch. But what else are these things good for? Enjoy following my near panic attacks, threats of bodily harm on the public and just general rants on every and anything.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Changing Directions - Run Ducky, Run!

A little gay birdie may have told you that for the past three years I participated in numerous AIDS Rides benefiting both local and national AIDS charities. The reason I originally began these rides was to help educate and raise awareness about this disease as well as challenge myself physically and emotionally to complete these grueling rides. I’ve raised almost $8000 and have ridden over 2000 miles.
Every year I want to keep pushing myself to attempt further distances or tackle a new activity. I was planning on doing an AIDS Ride from Montreal to Boston this summer instead of the ride across Mass. but my financial and “unemployed” status does not favor my participation. I am bummed as it would have been a five day ride through two countries and over 500 miles. What can you do? A guy must eat and have somewhere to live.
For now I believe I will volunteer for the Mass Red Ribbon Ride, possibly being their “film” person, documenting the weekend and their cause. I’ve worked well with AIDS Action and would like to see this ride succeed. This is the make it or break it year and I would still like to participate in a ride I helped form in some way or another. God knows those monthly planning meetings in year one were full of optimism, enthusiasm, and pizza!
Alas I need a new challenge (as if finding a job isn’t challenging enough). For this I’ve decided to tackle the unspeakable for my not so physical of body. I will train this spring and summer for the Boston Triathlon (formerly known as the Monster Challenge) which takes place this September. I know, right? Who? ME you dream stealers! I know how to ride a bike. I can swim a lap or two in a pool or most of the way across Walden Pond. You don’t know!
Starting the first week of April, I will begin my 13 week running regimen that is supposed to have me prepped and ready to run 10k in 13 weeks. It will be hard, but that is why I try to find these challenges each year. If I can’t take a week off for an AIDS Ride through Canada and the US, I can swim in the Boston Harbor, bike down Memorial Drive and run my ass around the wharf dammit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home