wait, what? just blog

I know, I know... I bitch. But what else are these things good for? Enjoy following my near panic attacks, threats of bodily harm on the public and just general rants on every and anything.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Bad News Bears (1976)


Bad News Bears (1976)
Originally uploaded by duckydale.
Last night, BNB was on HBO and we watched the whole movie. I remember this being a huge part of my childhood. I loved BNB, BNB Breaking Training, and even went to see the not so good BNB Go To Japan. I forgot how brilliant this film was in the decade or so since having seen it last. Tanner was always my favorite, though if truth be told I was more of the Timmy Lupus character in real life. It’s crass, bold, and just plain wrong at times but it gives the underdog hope. It’s Revenge of the Nerds Grade School Style! The writing is genius and the acting is actually really good. Tatum O’Neal is wonderful, reaching a style and sophistication no 12 year old should have and she raises the bar for these child actors. I mean how many people can hold their own against Walter Matheau? Even as a Grumpy Old Man he overshadowed the ancient Ann Margaret. To now see that Little Darling could handle herself with one of the greats, its encouraging and all directors should be showing this performance to their little kids. Dakota Fanning, rent it girl!
Jon brought up a good point though while watching BNB. They do not make movies like this anymore. I know there is a remake that is coming out with Billy Bob Thornton in the Buttermaker role but what he meant was that they do not make movies with KIDS like this ANYMORE. Case in point: Tanner – “All we got on this team are a buncha Jews, spics, niggers, pansies, and a booger-eatin' moron!” Can you see Haley Joel Osmet delivering that line? Neither can I!
That’s the beauty of the 70’s and 80’s. We weren’t so sheltering of adolescence. Film reflected the truth about kids, not sanitized Disney versions of idealistic youth. Every kid I knew growing up was a member of the Bad News Bears. We were foul-mouthed harsh kids and it was great to see yourself reflected on the silver screen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home