wait, what? just blog

I know, I know... I bitch. But what else are these things good for? Enjoy following my near panic attacks, threats of bodily harm on the public and just general rants on every and anything.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Gay Marriage Decision - Happy Anniversary

Look Jethro, dem Queers done made it a year. Guess its not the end of the world. That’s right Sammy Jo, Human Beings were aloud to marry a year ago just like your inbred trailer park pig farmin’ self and noone cares. Congrats on not lynching anyone these past 12 months. Rural fences everywhere cry a sigh of relief.
Do I celebrate? Sure. It was a civil rights victory that directly affects me, or could directly affect me if Jon or I were in a critical situation and were possibly denied access to each other or rights given to Jethro and Sammy Jo in emergency medical, economic, or death circumstances.
Does it complicate the relationship? I guess it could. I mean, there was never this option available and now that there is, it could add an element of finality to a relationship. I mean how many straight couples did you hear about breaking up because one wasn’t ready to “commit?” Plenty. I think its ridiculous that if you are happy in a relationship and everything is working smoothly that there is no need to end things just because that person may not want to marry at this time. I think it’s an unwelcome pressure put on a couple based on societal standards. And just like everything else that’s good in this world, corruption by the masses ruins what could be a good thing. Sure I would like presents, money and flat-ware from Crate & Barrel but not to be like “you.”
I believe in gay marriage. I believe in the need for the rights given to married couples. But, I do think there is a difference between a gay and straight relationship. It’s equal but it is not the same in some regards. There is a struggle and a stigma that had to be overcome in a gay relationship to survive. That alone is a bond, a union created by strength and love. The problem is, this country doesn’t recognize that victory and can refuse you the rights given to heterosexual couples. For this reason, we need the ability to marry, to be recognized by law as the other half in a relationship, and to be treated as a human being by medical and financial institutions.
The fight against legalizing gay marriage reminds me of the way “Americans” have adopted this uber-patriotic stance on American life post 9/11. If you do not have an American flag waving and a fucking magnetic ribbon on your trunk you’re a terrorist or a sympathizer. It’s similar in group mentality. No one cared that the divorce rate is at an all time high and that more marriages are annulled within the first month than ever before in history but if two consenting adults want to marry their same sex partner – the sanctity of marriage is being trashed. People that never once questioned or criticized themselves and their marriage now have a hard religious stance for the institution of marriage. Even though the ritual of “religious” marriage is not the only marriage practiced and honored, it is now being heralded as the only acceptable “marriage” recognized by the public eye. Well, the public and GOD of course.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home